In 1911, with a growing number of parishioners attending St. Columba's Church downtown, Bishop John Farley of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Cleveland added a second church on Youngstown's south side. St. Patrick's Church was established on May 24, 1911. One month later, the parish celebrated its first Mass in St. Columba Church Hall. A rectory for the parish was established on the corner of Cleveland Street and Oak Hill Avenue. It was a six-room frame house that rented for $18 a month. Daily Mass was celebrated there, as well. Although not the rectory today, the house is still standing. The current rectory was constructed in 1912. The property adjacent to it was purchased in June 1911 for the construction of a California Missions-style church. Construction of the church took five months. And, on November 12, 1911 Fr. Edward Mears, Pastor of St. Columba’s Church, dedicated the new St. Patrick’s. Construction of the permanent church was begun in the 1920s. Work on the gothic building progressed under Fr. Edward Mooney, who later became a Cardinal of the Church. Our current south side Catholic high school bears his name today.
The church was dedicated in 1926 by Fr. William Kane, who would later establish a youth camp in Lake Milton, Ohio for children of the south side. After a fire destroyed St. Columba’s Cathedral in 1954, St. Patrick’s was designated the pro-cathedral, and all official diocesan celebration, including ordinations and religious professions, were held at our church. Since its founding, St. Patrick’s Parish has been blessed with the leadership of nine pastors. As the ninth pastor, I have been serving here since May, 1985.
St. Patrick stands on its original site; a beacon of hope on the south side of the city. The current struggle of parish life in one of the highest crime areas in the city is a constant reminder that our ministry needs to continue to reach further and further. Our current reality reminds us of the prayer and support that is the very lifeblood of our parish. We work hard at St. Patrick’s and we pray hard. We have fun at what we do and we party a lot to express our joy in the Lord. We are blessed with wonderful and generous parishioners and benefactors who believe in our mission.